Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In Purity

3 We put no stumbling block in anyone’s path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. 4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 5 in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; 6 in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; 7 in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; 8 through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; 9 known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; 10 sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. -2 Corinthians 6: 3-10

Paul is describing the way He lives his live so that no one can lift one once against him that would discredit his ministry and the work he is doing for God. There are things that I have experienced that He has and things that I cant even begin to fathom what it must feel like. I had a few thoughts as I read and will do my best to write them out. I am feeling a little tongue tied this morning!


I've never had the privilege to be beaten, imprisoned, or deprived of something for the sake of Christ's name. So to begin to think about how much faith that would take is beyond me. I heard a story from Jesus Freaks:Martyrs about a pastor and two students. All three were standing in front of the Chinese police while they questioned them for their faith in Jesus. The two students proclaimed boldly that they followed Jesus while the pastor shrunk back in fear. The next moment the two students were lying dead on the ground for bullet wounds while the pastor just stood there and watched. I'm not upset with the pastor for not dying along side the students, because I can say all that I want about how I would die for Christ, but unless you are faced with that decision, you do not know how truly feel. But the question here is not whether you would die for Christ or not. It is about accreditation. Those two students were accredited with martyrdom and problem became a huge influence and encouragement for the believers. The way they lived did not discredit the ministry. However, the pastor's ministry was discredited. It is important that we live with the utmost urgency when it comes to the Kingdom of God.

I feel that many times Christ followers believe only preachers have to live "above reproach" however, I see this as call to all believers and not just leaders within the church. I feel the most dangerous thing that Paul says in this passage is that "in purity" we follow him. I wonder how many things I have done that many not have been "taboo" sins but have been at the edge that discredited my ministry. Ill use an example from my life. There is a television show called the Jersey Shore. It is basically a reality show of 6 or 7 people who party, do stupid stuff, and live as a dysfunctional "family" during the summers. To be honest, some parts of the show are really funny. It is the type of show you watch and say, " What an Idiot!" Well, I watched the show and thought that it was funny and didnt think anything of it. A buddy of mine really challenged me one day about the show. He didnt pin-point it out to me or call it out. He just casually in conversation said, "I know what that would do to me, if I watched it," and "I dont want to give anyone the wrong idea."
I felt a strong urge to want to say, "it is just a show, it doesnt matter." But the truth is: it does. What I watch, what music I listen too, it all matters! Many times the thing that discredits pastor's ministries are not the big taboo sins. It is the little ones. I have been fortunate enough to have friends who watch out for me and I for them. That even though the thing that we may like isnt "wrong," we still know that in purity we must live our lives as the best we can.

Well, those are some of my thoughts. I suggest thinking about the passage above. There are a lot of things that are represented there!



No comments:

Post a Comment